BLOG / KITCHEN
Popular Kitchen Flooring Types for Your 2021 Remodel
What to Consider in Kitchen Flooring
Some of the factors to consider when you set out to purchase new kitchen flooring include:
- Your lifestyle
- How many people live in your home, the age of the children in the home, and how often you entertain, are all factors to consider when you think about kitchen flooring. These factors will identify the expected foot traffic, the possibilities of dropped items, and if spills will be a problem. These factors will determine how durable you need your new kitchen flooring to be.
- When you choose kitchen flooring, it should blend with your kitchen. If you have a country-style decor, or you’ve gone with cutting-edge contemporary, you want the floor to follow through with the theme. Other considerations are the existing colors, patterns, and textures you’ve used in the kitchen design.
- If you spend a lot of time in your kitchen preparing meals, you want flooring that will be comfortable. You’ll want kitchen flooring that offers resilience with a bit of softness so it is comfortable to stand on it for long periods. Resilient floors can provide an elasticity that is comfortable for your feet.
- Easy to Clean
- Kitchens are a busy room in your home, and you want to easily be able to keep it looking good. You want flooring that you can quickly and easily wipe up spilled beverages or foods. A kitchen floor that is water-resistant, and not prone to staining is also a good choice for busy kitchens.
- Depending on the extent of your kitchen remodel project, the cost of your flooring could be a significant factor. When you set your budget for the project, identify the total dollar amount you can spend on flooring. Measure your floor area to know how much square footage you are covering. You can then get a more accurate quote from Leo Lantz Construction on total cost including underlayment, delivery, installation, and disposal of old flooring materials.
Now that you understand the considerations to make when doing a remodel of your kitchen flooring, let’s look at some of the most popular floor types to choose from.
BLOG / KITCHEN Get Quality Results from an Experienced Team - 30+ Years in Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling At Leo Lantz Construction, we specialize in transforming kitchens and bathrooms to create inviting, comfortable, and stylish living spaces. With over 30 years...
BLOG / KITCHENThe Pros And Cons Of Hiring A Professional Kitchen Renovation ContractorAt the beginning of every new year, people start thinking of changing and improving themselves and their homes. One improvement you may be considering for your home is renovating...
BLOG / KITCHENThree Simple Ways to Finance Your Kitchen Remodel in 2021 With Home EquityYour kitchen tops the list of home spaces that you would always want to renovate. But since renovations can be pretty expensive, it takes a lot of soul-searching and strategy to...
BLOG / KITCHENDesigning a Kitchen With Your Children in Mind If you want to create a happy family, you need to spend more time in the kitchen with your children. It's entirely possible to create a kitchen where every family member feels comfortable. Instead of...
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Popular Kitchen Flooring Types
Not all materials work for all kitchen floors. Some materials are constructed to last longer with little maintenance, and others will not. When you choose the flooring for your kitchen, you want to balance function, style, and comfort. The followingare some of the popular kitchen flooring types to choose from:
- Ceramic Tile
- Ceramic tile is an extremely durable material for a kitchen floor. It is made from natural clay that has been glazed, fired, and shaped under heat. Ceramic tile is impervious and a very hard material that is capable of withstanding stains and water. Under normal conditions, this material is resistant to breakage and heat and will last you indefinitely without changing its function or appearance. Drawbacks to having ceramic tile in your kitchen are that it is a cold material to have underfoot. Many people use area rugs with this tile to combat the coldness and hardness.
- Natural Stone Tile
- As the name implies, natural stone tile is hard as ‘rock’. Natural stone tile is extremely durable, and will be a long-lasting flooring solution for your kitchen. The options with a natural stone tile are:
- Using a natural stone tile gives your room a luxurious look. The marble and granite choices, in particular, have an incredible veining in them to give your room a unique appearance. These flooring materials are typically a plus with a re-sale of a home. The different types of stone will have different properties, such as scratch resistance, hardness, and durability. The sandstone and travertine will wear down faster than the others, but will still last you for many years.
- Vinyl flooring is going to be your most versatile and easy to clean kitchen flooring material. This flooring is a man-made material and is nearly impenetrable to water issues, damage, and stains. To clean this flooring, you only need to mop, vacuum, or sweep. There are modern versions of the vinyl flooring choices which are known as luxury vinyl flooring (LVT). You can find choices in this type of flooring that will mimic stone or natural wood.
- Linoleum was the most popular choice for kitchen flooring fifty years ago. Today, this material is making a come-back. The linoleum is made from all-natural linseed oil and is an environmentally-friendly product. This flooring type is easy to maintain and clean, and if properly cared for will last you up to forty years or more.
- Hardwood flooring is extremely durable but does have its limitations in many areas, including kitchens. The limitations come from it being susceptible to moisture, which can be a concern in the kitchen area. Modern sealers and polyurethane finishes are making the hardwood flooring a more popular choice for kitchen remodels. These finishes allow the hardwood to become longer-lasting and more durable.
- Bamboo is much like hardwood flooring but is actually harder and more resistant to moisture and water damage. The bamboo for kitchen flooring choices is becoming more popular because of its durability. This flooring may cost more than hardwood and may require a professional when it comes time to refinish the floor.
Who to Contact About Popular Kitchen Flooring
Leo Lantz Construction takes a unique approach to all remodel projects. If you are considering a remodel of your kitchen, bathroom, or other areas of your home, we are the experts to talk with. Our specialty is working with older homes and with 3D CAD kitchen design software, we can help you visualize your project before the first tool comes out. If your project needs a new kitchen floor, talk with our experts to make sure you get the best choice for your home’s needs.